Wednesday, October 7, 2015

Blog Assignment #2

The essay I chose for this blog assignment is "Demetria Martinez's "Inherit the Earth; The Things They Carried". A quote that grabbed my attention was the second sentence of "The Things They Carried".
"At First Christian Church in Tucson, a museum-quality display hold, among a number of objects, the following: empty plastic water jugs, a backpack, a baby bottle, soap, Colgate toothpaste, a hairbrush, a sardine can, a sock and used AeroMexico tickets."
I found this sentence interesting because of the string of items in the display hold. They are ordinary objects found in a home. It made me wonder why exactly the items were on display.  The first sentence of "Inherit the Earth" also caught my attention.
"The Arizona sun is melting like a pat of butter on the mountain flanks Tucson's west side."
The line made me imagine butter melting on a pan. It was almost as if I was there watching the sun set.  The last line "The desert holds letters lost or left behind. "I love you," reads a handwritten letter in Spanish. "I need you... I hope that very soon we can be together forever." This line ended the essay in a very good way. It shows the the large amounts of loved ones lost in the journey through the desert.
The writer's story attracted me because I am familiar with stories of immigration. Being latino, I think I can relate better to latinx writers.

No comments:

Post a Comment