Monday, October 19, 2015

Blog Assignment #3 Describing a historical photo


I chose a photo from Edward Kelty's Photo's of Circus People. I enjoy the amount of contrast in the photo. Major Mite, the supposed 'smallest man in the world' is standing next to Sky High Jack Earl, someone who is almost quadruple the height of Major Mite. To me, Major Mite just looks like a baby in a top hat and a suit. Sky High Jack Earl is wearing what looks like a soldier's uniform. Both seem prett content, though i cant really tell with Major Mite, considering that he has a literal baby face. From the looks of this photo,  I would think both Major Mite and Sky High Jack Earl live happy lives, which is pretty odd to me. If I would part of a "Freakshow" I don't think I would be happy being showcased and degraded at the same time. Just being called a "freak" is so humiliating. These people didn't have a choice to be "normal". Sometimes joining the circus is the only choice for people who get rejected by society for being themselves. I'm sure Major Mite knows it. I'm sure Sky High Jack Earl knows it. But looking unhappy isn't going to get the circus any more customers, so for now, they fake it. They hide their sorrow for just a few moments.

No comments:

Post a Comment